Halloween is almost here~ Halloween in NYC is the best! We have the Halloween parade that goes right thru the West Village. Just before Halloween it’s fun to make fresh, homemade spiced apple cider. It’s perfect timing since I have lots of fresh apples from apple picking in the Hudson Valley recently.
I’ve been using this simple recipe for years. You don’t even have to peel your apples, just cut them in quarters and throw them in a large pot.
Here’s what you need:
10 apples, Gala work really well, but any sweet to mildly sweet apple will work
1/2 cup of sugar
5 tablespoons of all spice
3 tablespoons of cinnamon
Fresh cinnamon sticks for garnish
2 loose leaf tea bags to hold the spices
Here are the steps to make the cider. Preparation time is about 3 hours in total. The house will smell amazing while it’s cooking with all those spices simmering!
1. quarter 10 apples. leave the skin on, and remove the seeds.
2. place the apples in a large pan for boiling.
3. fill the pan with water, just covering the apples.
4. add the 1/2 cup of sugar.
5. add the all spice and cinnamon into a piece of cheesecloth and tie it, adding to the pot, or add the all spice and cinnamon into a loose leaf tea bag sachet and add to the pot.
6. Bring to a boil for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and checking to insure that the water doesn’t get too low. If it seems to get too low, just add a little extra water. You can leave the lid off while boiling.
7. After 1 hour, reduce to low heat and simmer the mixture for 2 hours with the lid on to lock in all the steam.
8. Let the mixture cool.
9. Once cooled, remove the spices and mash the apples to a pulp like texture. Pour the mixture into a large bowl through a strainer. This is your cider!
Serve the hot spiced apple cider with a cinnamon stick for a pretty garnish.
The cider can be stored in the refrigerator in a jar covered for up to a week.
If your looking for a diabetic option for a spiced apple cider recipe, you can try using the natural sweetener Stevia as an alternative to the sugar.
Now that Halloween is here, we can take some of those Halloween pumpkins to make pumpkin soup too!
Hot spiced apple cider is a great for Halloween parties and makes a pretty drink for your friends~ Enjoy!